Thursday, April 24, 2014

Eating gluten free: My 5 go-to gluten free snacks

Eating gluten free definitely has its health benefits but it also be a total pain.   Some people think avoiding gluten requires too much meal planning or is more expensive, but I have actually found easy ways to fit it in with my busy lifestyle!  So to save you some time and frustrations here are my tips for eating gluten free.

First of all, I mentioned before that I already eat very clean for the most part.  This means eating a very limited amounts of processed foods, so most of what I eat is naturally gluten free, but you have to indulge sometimes!

My 5 go- to gluten free snacks: 

1. Humus
 Humus is naturally gluten free and it comes in a variety of different flavors and it goes great with every vegetable.  I usually have mine with carrots or gluten free cracks.

2. Popcorn
 I love popcorn! I actually air pop my own and season it Kernel Seasons brand seasoning and a lot of their seasonings are actually gluten free! This is also great to remember when traveling because you can buy bagged popcorn in virtually every chip isle.  My favorite brand is the Wise brand reduced fat white cheddar or butter.

3. Peanut butter
For me this literally means spoon in the peanut butter, but its great to have with celery or put them on the rice cakes. To be honest, I am a total addict.  My all time favorite brand is Trader Joe's chunky peanut butter, and I have to say once you have it there's no going back to another other brand...although surprisingly the Walmart brand  natural peanut butter is a pretty good substitute.

4. Rice cakes
These pretty much taste like popcorn in a condensed form and they are soo good! My go to brand is the Quaker Oats kind, but any brand is good with a little peanut butter.

5. Chex cereal 
I am one of those weird ones who eats dry cereal as a snack, since I have never really been a milk drinker.  Chex cereal is a great gluten free snack because all of the flavors except the wheat are gluten free and you can bag it up and take it anywhere!

All of these have made eating gluten free so much easier while I am at school, and they are not super pricey like the gluten free brands are!

No comments:

Post a Comment