Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Pulsing and Protocols

So I took a week off my antibiotics last week because I was going to the beach for the weekend.  I think it's good to take a week off here and there to give your body a break.  However, I do advise you to not do this frequently!

Taking time off every once and a while is great because it allows your body to lower its tolerance to antibiotic. Which also means that when you start taking them again, it will hit your body much harder than usual.  Needless, to say my meds have been kicking my butt this week!  I have been sleeping 11 hours at night and took two naps the other day...All with plenty of caffeine! I have also been experiencing some of the cognitive/neurological symptoms that I haven't had much of in a while.

If you are prescribed to long term antibiotics, how do you feel about pulsing?

I used to be on a protocol where I would pulse during the week by only taking meds on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.  I would do this for three weeks, take a week off and start it over again. At first, I really liked the idea of this because it allowed me to take the weekends off so I would have enough energy to get out and socialize with friends.  In reality, I found that this is not enough medicine to be taking and your body is likely to quickly build up a tolerance this way.  The doctor I see now, has me back to taking meds everyday of the week.  And let me tell you I like it soo much more! I have definitely seen the most progress taking meds everyday of the week.  I do sometimes take a week though, but it is purely my own discretion.

My plans for the rest of the day: lots of resting and doing homework in bed!  How do you feel about pulsing your protocols?

No comments:

Post a Comment