Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Under Our Skin: My thoughts

I finally just watched "Under Our Skin" last night after searching for it for months.  Every doctor I saw encouraged me to watch it to learn more about Lyme.  If you have never seen the documentary, it basically follows a handful of people sharing their stories and experiences.  It also goes over some of the legal complications with Lyme disease which is something I think everyone should be aware of.

It was one girls story in particular that I completely identified with.  She started off telling her story by sharing how happy she was when she found out she had Lyme disease.  Meaning, she thought she would just take a round of antibiotics and finally be cured.  After being sick for the whole summer, and struggling with weird flare up of symptoms here and there for the past few years, this is exactly how I felt.  Unfortunately for both of us that is just not the case.  She is also very active despite being sick, just like myself.  Her reasoning, was that she was laying in bed so sick that she was absolutely miserable.  Working a time consuming job seemed to be the perfect distraction from her symptoms.  Since she was still fighting Lyme disease, she was still dealing with the hard symptoms day to day, but pretending that she was feeling much better than she was.  It really hit me watching her story, because this sounds just like my own story.  I still continue to go to school and go to school events even if it means that I have to drag myself out of bed.  Although I am pretty open about having Lyme disease in order to educate others, I constantly at like I am feeling much better than to avoid people feeling bad for me.

If you have never seen this documentary I strongly suggest you watch it, whether you have Lyme or not.  Not only is it full of actual stories and great insight, it also has a lot of factual information that most people do not know.  It is also extremely important that we educate others on what is happening with healthcare laws and Lyme disease.  If you ever get the chance to watch this documentary, pass it on and educate others around us. 




No comments:

Post a Comment