Wednesday, April 9, 2014

My Lyme Diet


I am detoxing today so naturally I am going to be super cranky.  But I figured that while I am trying ignore my sugar cravings I would work on another blog post!  Through the past few months I have learned so much about detoxing and what you can and cannot have while treating Lyme.  So here is my Lyme diet! 
The basic overview of my diet is:

-        -Gluten free
-        -Low starch
-        -Low sugar
-        -Mostly no dairy
-        -No red meat or raw fish

Im not going to lie, when I first started treatment I though the dietary restrictions were such a pain and saw it as another thing I needed to add to my list.  I finally seemed to figure out a happy medium for clean eating while at school.  

Now I know being gluten free seems more expensive or that it requires more effort but if you are eating low starch, you are really limiting the amount of processed foods in your diet anyway so most of the food you consume will naturally be gluten free. 
Why do we omit gluten? 

Gluten actually turns into glue in your body.  It is already hard enough for our bodies to break down, but if you are trying to detox, gluten can lower your ability to get rid of bacteria.  You don’t have to get super crazy and check every label, just remember that if its unprocessed its most likely gluten free! 

Why low starch?
First off, most starchy foods are processed foods which you should be avoiding anyway because you should not be putting harmful chemicals in your body while trying to get rid of harmful things that are already in your body! Makes sense right? Second, starches have YEAST! Too much yeast in the body creates and environment for harmful bacteria and even mold! If you are taking oral antibiotics like me you already have a high amount of starch in your body already. 

Why low sugar?
Sugar actually promotes the growth of yeast which as I said before is very bad for your body.  Spirochetes are considered parasites and parasites thrive off of sugar! If you are having intense sugar cravings that is why!

Why no dairy?
I have always tried to keep my dairy consumption to the bare minimum because I am slightly lactose intolerant and dairy is very high in fat anyway.  The only dairy I consume is if I cook with a little bit of butter or if I am a eating something with dairy as an ingredient.  Dairy also has bacteria in it so you should try to limit it as much as possible. Also, dairy is mostly fat so as we are limited to the amount activity we do, eating dairy is gonna make you gain weight!

Why avoid red meat and fish?
Again, undercooked meat and fish can contain bacteria and if you have a compromised immune system you are less likely to fight these harmful things off!  

What about caffeine?
I have read a few things about omitting caffeine from your diet….. I don’t do this.  I have never been a big soda drinker, but I am a coffee addict.  If it weren’t for coffee this year I'm not even sure if I could have made is through school this far! Coffee is literally what keeps me going through the day.  

Of course I don’t always follow this diet as strictly as I should since I am still in college.  Sometimes I will take days off, but it is very important to get right back into it!

I hope this helps anyone trying to find a balance with their diet restrictions and I will try to post a blog on detoxing soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment